National military suicide rates rise, local rates decline | News
FORT BENNING (WTVM/AP)- The national suicide rate for the military hit a record high last year: more than 350 people took their lives among all active-duty soldiers 2012.
But here, the numbers are much different: only three of the 182 army suicides were at Fort Benning.
This is down from ten suicides in 2010, and six in 2011.
Fort Benning has a number of suicide prevention programs, and a comprehensive soldier fitness event for troops and their families to help them cope.
The post contributes its decline in numbers mostly to these programs.
Copyright 2013 WTVM. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Local university prepares for dangerous storms, builds shelters
- Ribbon cutting ceremony for new Children's Department at Phenix City Library
- Local 11th graders build playground for students with special needs
- Beer shoplifter pepper-sprays Piggly Wiggly employees
- Sgt. 1st Class Donald Wilson laid to rest