Fort Benning conducting controlled burning March 15 | Military
The Directorate of Public Works is conducting a controlled/prescribed burn in the central portion of post on Friday March 15. Winds are favorable and smoke is not expected to escape post.
Prescribed burning helps prevent the occurrence of wildfires stemming from military training activities. Firebreaks around impact areas are maintained annually to contain any wildfires that may be triggered by munitions.
Community members may call 706-545-2237, for more information. For after hours, please leave a message. Media who would like more information on controlled/prescribed burning should call 706-545-6674 or 706-545-8970.
You may also visit the Smoke and Sound Web site at https://ww.benning.army.mil/garrison/smokeandsound/ for maps and other information on training.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Domestic violence increases during holiday season
- Have a blast this Saturday at the Coca-Cola Space Science Center!
- Columbus Cottonmouths deliver gifts to Midtown Medical Center
- Columbus Council moves forward with Riverwalk redevelopment, zip line on the way
- Friends, family remember Kenneth Walker 10 years after his death