COMMUNITY NOTICE: Fort Benning conducting controlled burning March 4. | Military
The Directorate of Public Works is conducting a controlled/prescribed burn in the southern portion of post Monday March 4. Winds are favorable and smoke is not expected to escape post.
Prescribed burning helps prevent the occurrence of wildfires stemming from military training activities. Firebreaks around impact areas are maintained annually to contain any wildfires that may be triggered by munitions.
Community members may call 706-545-2237 for more information. For after hours, please leave a message. Media who would like more information on controlled/prescribed burning should call 706-545-6674 or 706-545-8970.
You may also visit the Smoke and Sound Web site at https://ww.benning.army.mil/garrison/smokeandsound/ for maps and other information on training.
Individuals who want to be notified of firing on ranges and prescribed burning may be added to the notification list by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Local university prepares for dangerous storms, builds shelters
- Ribbon cutting ceremony for new Children's Department at Phenix City Library
- Local 11th graders build playground for students with special needs
- Beer shoplifter pepper-sprays Piggly Wiggly employees
- Sgt. 1st Class Donald Wilson laid to rest